SPL + nickel batteries
Total reliability for trackside signaling
Saft SPL+ Ni-Cd batteries are designed to guarantee the complete reliability of signaling and railroad system communication. These nickel batteries offer an ultra-low maintenance solution to power trackside signals, flashers, switches, communications and other equipment over long discharge periods.
Features & Benefits
Ultra-low maintenance Ni-Cd batteries for railroad
- Minimal maintenance
- Good cycling capability
- Suitable for all standard railroad voltages and for all trackside power requirements:
- Back-up DC power
- Single signal mast
- Large control point
- Uninterruptible power for a multi-lane highway grade crossing
- Capacity range: 80 Ah to 510 Ah (C5 rate)
- Operation in ambient temperatures from + 40°C to - 30°C, with extremes from + 55°C to - 40°C
- Long life time of over 20 years
- Cell construction based on Saft’s proven nickel battery pocket plate technology
- Cell containers are polypropylene with visible electrolyte levels
- Cell weight with electrolyte doesn’t exceed the standard weight limit of 23 kg (55.5 lbs)
- Equipped with flame arresting vents
- Cells can be supplied with their own battery crates
- Wide range of racking options
- Cells can be stored filled with electrolyte and charged for up to two years
An Environmentally Sound Solution
- Manufacturing process and recycling capability ensure lowest CO2 footprint
- Wide temperature range, saving energy consumption of battery rooms (HVAC, Heating)
- Long operational life of over 20 years, at least 3 times longer than lead-acid batteries
- Lowest total cost of ownership
Closing the loop on responsible production
Saft operates the only plant in the world that produces nickel-cadmium batteries incorporating metals that have been reclaimed on site from spent batteries, reducing their eco-footprint. Recycling Ni-Cd batteries is a complex process that involves separating the nickel, cobalt and cadmium from the electrodes, a process perfected by Saft’s plant in Oskarshamn, Sweden – the only one worldwide involved in both the recycling and manufacturing of Ni-Cd batteries and incorporating recycled metals.
Saft operates a network of over 30 bring back points worldwide that receive spent Ni-Cd batteries produced at Saft factories, as well as those made by its competitors. The bring back point located in northern Europe brings these used batteries back to Oskarshamn, minimizing transportation. Other bring back points work with other fully permitted recycling partners selected by Saft to ensure that the recovery rates mandated imposed by the EU battery directive are met.
Saft was awarded a top rating in 2021 by Ecovadis, a Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) rating organization for sustainable development performance, scoring in the 96th percentile on: environment, labor and human rights, ethics, and sustainable procurement.
SPL+ product brochureProduct brochure Download (English)
Cell topping-up Ni-Cd equipment (AC)Product datasheet Download (English)
Cell topping-up Ni-Cd equipment (DC)Product datasheet Download (English)
SPL + I&O sheetProduct I&O sheet Download (English)
Ni-Cd BIS battery information sheetBattery Information Sheet (BIS)
To ensure we can respond as efficiently as possible. Please complete this form which will be delivered to our team of experts, who will help you with your enquiry.
In accordance with the provisions of the personal data protection regulation, Saft Groupe SAS as data controller will process your data for the purposes of providing the services and for its legitimate interest. Any mandatory fields are marked with an asterisk.
In accordance with current regulations, you have the right to access, correct, delete and object to the use of your personal data. You may ask for your personal data to be sent to you and you have the right to give instructions for the use of your personal data after your death. You can also ask for restriction of the data, portability of the data and/or make a claim to the CNIL (the French data protection agency). For any request please send it to GDPR@saftbatteries.com or to the following address:
Saft Groupe SAS
26, quai Charles Pasqua
92300 Levallois-Perret – France
Find out more