Saft batteries support vital control and safety functions on Hong Kong’s MTR metro system
Saft has delivered locally manufactured on-board battery systems to CNR CRC for new trains on Hong Kong’s new West Island metro line.
Reliable low-maintenance backup power
Saft has completed a major contract for CNR Changchun Railway Vehicles Co., Ltd. (CNR CRC) to supply on-board battery systems that will ensure reliable, low-maintenance, backup power for new trains under construction for the new West Island Line on the Hong Kong MTR metro system. The successful delivery of this latest contract further demonstrates Saft’s continued growth in China’s railway sector where it is already delivering major contracts for metro systems in Beijing, Nanjing and Shanghai.
CNR CRC, a major manufacturer of rolling stock for both China and global markets, is constructing 15 eight-car train sets for the Hong Kong MTR West Island Line which is scheduled for completion in 2014. The new trains will run over a route length of approximately 3 km from Sheung Wan to Kennedy Town, serving three new underground stations.
The on-board battery systems will provide up to 60 minutes of backup power to support vital safety and control functions including:
- smoke detection
- emergency lighting
- door opening
Local manufacture in China
Crucial to Saft’s success in prestige railway projects in the Chinese market is the Zhuhai plant, established in 2006. This facility enables Saft to provide the high levels of service and support required by China’s rolling stock OEMs. It also enables Saft to add significant levels of local added value to projects by incorporating locally sourced mechanical and electro technical components within battery systems.
Saft battery systems - key features
- Based on Saft’s specialized SRM nickel-based batteries
- Three battery systems are fitted to each West Island Line train set
- Two of the battery systems comprise 76 SRM 375 cells - providing nominal 90 V and 375 Ah capacity
- Third battery system comprises 76 SRM 220 cells - providing a nominal 220 Ah capacity
Saft SRM nickel-based rail batteries - key benefits
- SRM cell’s sintered/PBE design enables batteries to be some 20 percent smaller and lighter than conventional batteries of similar performance.
- Extremely reliable, even when subjected to extreme temperatures and heavy vibration.
- Does not suffer the ‘sudden death’ failure that can afflict lead-acid batteries, and can provide a long service life of up to 15 years.
- No special attention required between normal rolling stock maintenance examinations - topping up with distilled water is only required at two-year intervals.
- No need to change the electrolyte during the battery’s lifetime.
Related Articles, Stories & Events
Contact our Saft Specialists
To ensure we can respond as efficiently as possible. Please complete this form which will be delivered to our team of experts who will help you with your enquiry.
In accordance with the provisions of the personal data protection regulation, Saft Groupe SAS as data controller will process your data for the purposes of providing the services and for its legitimate interest. Any mandatory fields are marked with an asterisk.
In accordance with current regulations, you have the right to access, correct, delete and object to the use of your personal data. You may ask for your personal data to be sent to you and you have the right to give instructions for the use of your personal data after your death. You can also ask for restriction of the data, portability of the data and/or make a claim to the CNIL (the French data protection agency). For any request please send it to GDPR@saftbatteries.com or to the following address:
Saft Groupe SAS
26, quai Charles Pasqua
92300 Levallois-Perret – France
Find out more