Battery solutions for animal tracking - AWT use case
Tracking collars powered by Saft's batteries enable rangers to monitor endangered animals
Key benefits for Africa Wildlife Tracking (AWT)
- Robust and safe design that does not pose any risk to animals
- Tailor-made solutions meeting the challenging needs of vavious species, especially in harsh environments
- Real-time data transmission for continous monitoring of animals
- Local presence and high technical support from Saft's distributor, Just Batteries
Features of Saft's power solution
- 30-year track record in Li-SOCl2 primary lithium battery technology
- Proposition of comprehensive and bespoke design solutions
- Wide operating temperature range (- 60°C / + 85°C)
- High pulse capability allowing long range communication
- Worldwide network with integrated partners
The performance and robustness of a battery for our tracking device systems is crucial. Using a collar for security to prevent poaching requires rapid alerts and our customers rely on unfailing technology that can communicate immediately. We go for the best battery and to us, that's the reason why we've worked with Saft right from the start.Martin Haupt Founder of AWT
What is the challenge for AWT? Designing tailor-made tracking device built with reliable, robust and safe batteries to protect endangered species
Wildlife rangers and conservationists around the world use collars to keep a watchful eye on animals and study their behavior. The result is that scientists gain insight into the natural world, including the size of habitat and physical activity of animals.
Collar manufacturer Africa Wildlife Tracking (AWT) tailors its devices to meet the unique requirements of various species and their habitats. Its trackers transmit data as often as 10 seconds to keep scientits informed about data such as temperature, light intensity, daily movement, home range sizes and information from a 3-axis accelerometer from which mortality can be detected. Around 9,000 elephants in Africa and Asia have been studied thanks to AWT radio-GPS collars.
What is the solution selected by AWT?
AWT’s collars rely on dependable power and robustness of Saft’s LSH batteries, supplied by its local distributor, Just Batteries. The batteries provide reliable power in hot climates that other battery type would not endure. In addition, they are mechanically tough to survive the wilderness.